Magdalena House is a transitional home in San Antonio that serves mothers and their children who have fled dangerous and abusive lives by providing transformation through education, nurturing community and programming. We provide a free, safe transitional home and loving community for those affected by family violence and human trafficking, mothers who have aged out of foster care, and those working with CPS, as well as mothers facing homelessness. Families’ needs are addressed and met, including unique programing designed to foster self-awareness and confidence. Vocational and career assistance beginning with education, training, and job readiness are key ingredients. Mothers are required to attend school by taking college, high school, GED or English classes and work with parenting coaches. Through these and other enrichment courses and events, mothers develop the social, educational, parental and financial skills needed to ensure their families’ the physical, economic, and spiritual well-being. We are in an exciting stage of growth, expanding our unique, five-acre property into a neighborhood of 7 homes. We are currently constructing 2 additional homes and a Family Wellness Center, tripling our capacity in early 2018.
We are seeking a creative self-starter to serve as a fulltime Program Director. Primary responsibilities include operational management of our Magdalena House (MH) program; ongoing evaluation of underlying theory and praxis; and supervision and development of program staff. The successful candidate will grow and further develop a proven program. They partner with the Executive Director and collaborate with our management team. The objective is to provide an environment of empowerment and transformation for hurting families, allowing them to heal, achieve goals and become self-sufficient. This position reports to the Executive Director.
PRINCIPLE RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACTIVITIE
Operation of Magdalena House Program
- Anchor all program within the Mission, Vision and Guiding Principles of Magdalena House
- Foster and enhance the strengths based, trauma informed approach of our program.
- Interview, select, and provide intake, orientation and assessments with diverse families.
- Provide one-on-one regular meetings with residents throughout their stay at MH.
- Oversight of resident need’s assessments and application for social services: including legal and financial needs and mental, physical, and spiritual well-being throughout their stay at MH.
- Initiate, implement and evaluate resident Covenants three times per year
- Provide career assessment and guidance with each resident.
- Assist mothers in beginning school and guidance for success as determined by their goals.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with agencies as they relate to our work.
- Stay current on adult educational opportunities and matriculation requirements.
- Design and implement all current aspects of Magdalena House programming; Enrichment, Summer Institute, Dwell Being, Resident Service Projects, Field Trips as well as future events.
- Maintain confidential resident records and notes using electronic software program, Apricot.
- Oversight of volunteer training materials. Assure volunteers are recruited and adequately trained to enhance the lives of residents and implement components of our MH program.
- Help residents create realistic budgets.
- Using collaborative relationships, empower mothers to assess their children’s needs
- Research and implement parenting needs specific to each family.
- Enhance and design effective program policies where needed.
- Work with staff to resolve conflicts which might arise amongst residents, staff and volunteers
- Recruit, hire, train, evaluate and supervise program staff. Provide development and leadership.
- Be aware of safety concerns
- Develop and manage annual budgets related to the position. Meet fiscal objectives.
- Participate in recurring meeting and planning retreats with Executive Director
Assessment of Magdalena House Program
- Compiles program statistics and provides data as required for assigned programs and grant reporting. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of our program
- On-going assessment and revision of foundational theories and evidence based program
- Stay current in behavioral sciences’ best practices and evidence based programming through continuing education and research
Support and Collaboration with Magdalena House Staff
- Provide regular communication to staff on community events, celebrations and/or conflicts
- Assist Development Staff in sharing our story with stakeholders
- Support as needed for our Gala and other fundraising activities
- Provide necessary narrative and grant outputs in support of Development staff
- Provides oversight of Magdalena House when Executive Director is out of town
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Graduate degree in behavioral sciences; LPC, LCSW or related profession
- Knowledge and/or experience in areas of family violence, human trafficking, child abuse and trauma informed approach
- Formal or in-formal theological education
- Above average written and communication skills
- Strong proficiency in MS Office, electronic notes and database software. Proficient in using technology as a management reporting tool and able to implement program evaluation tools.
- High ownership and a strong work ethic
- Ability to communicate with diverse populations and translate dreams into attainable goals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a commitment to and passion for Magdalena House’s mission. Maintain professional attitude and appearance.
- Ability to work on occasional weekend/evenings and carry 35 pounds
- Ability to maintain the privacy and confidentiality of our residents
Magdalena Ministries, Inc. is committed to the belief that each individual is entitled to equal employment opportunity. Magdalena House is drug, alcohol and smoke-free work environment.
To apply for this position, please email your résumé, letter of interest and a list of three references. Please indicate the name of the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your email.
Rev. Denise Barker
P. O. Box 692041
San Antonio, Texas 78269